Monday 26 September 2011

Time to get some wellies!

I had another grand adventure today! I went over to a friend's place for supper tonight. It was raining. Hard. As in, the rain was driving down so hard that it was bouncing off the concrete by a couple of inches. But it was warm rain, and fun. I was going to take the bus (protect my voice, which I just got back after being sick all weekend), but by the time I got to the stop, my shoes were soaked, and my jeans were wet up to my knees. Figured I couldn't get much wetter, so I decided to walk.

How wrong I was. I wish I'd had my camera... the streets were rushing rivers. Sometimes I had to reroute, because the water was too deep to cross the road at that intersection. One store drainpipe had so much water rushing down it from the roof that the water was hitting the concrete and violently spraying back up to shoulder height. Oh! And I found a new use for my umbrella! After being hit by a wave or two of muddy water, I started using it as a shield for the spray of passing cars.

By the time I got there, I was soaking from head to toe (the rain was coming through both my umbrella AND my raincoat). But it was not only a fun visit, but useful too. She's been teaching here for the last year or so, and assured me that what I've experienced so far is not normal. She's a sweet, soft-spoken lady. Gives me hope! I also spoke with a couple other British teachers over the weekend who say the same thing. I may survive here after all! She also shared a few usefull teaching resources. Excellent!
I'm even looking forward to going back to work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment