Sunday 4 September 2011

Don’t worry... I’m OK, and the car’s OK

So I’m getting pretty good at zipping around the narrow English back roads (termed “highways” here). However, I’ve gotten into my first accident. A deer hit me. Jumped right out of the forest and ran into the back of my car. It seemed to only be a bit stunned, but the one after got flattened by the big semi coming the other way.
Other than this slight shadow, today was another excellent day. Knowing how big a tourist trap Stonehenge is, we were going to simply do a drive-by on the way to the Cerne Abbas Giant (my Dad’s special request - the hill drawing, not Stonehenge. You’ll understand when you see the pictures). But it was a bit of a traffic jam getting there, so we decided to pull in and have a look anyway. It’s quite impressive!  And we got closer than I’d imagined, and instead of being held back by a big metal fence, there was only a little rope at about knee height. They also had a free audio tour that was quite good.
After swinging by the Cerne Abbas Giant, we were directed along more twisty, narrow, blind-cornered “highways” through the countryside on our way to Cheddar Gorge. I’ve decided that after I marry my Highland Scotsman in a kilt, we will eventually retire in South Western England. The villages are super cute, nestled among rolling hills dotted with forests, crops and livestock.
Cheddar Gorge deserves much more of my time than I was able to give it. The gorge itself is quite spectacular. I’d love to take a long walk along the ridge, and there are some pretty cool caves that I’m dying to explore. We got there just as everything was closing though, so we didn’t even manage to get a tour of the Cheddar Cheese factory, though we were able to sample some unique and pungent cheddars at the factory store. And I thought cheddar was cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment