Tuesday 13 September 2011

Could I be normal after all?

We’re back in Derby again. I love the Fey family. I always looked forward to going over to their place in Vanuatu. More than anything else I can remember. They lived a bit out of town, with fields on one side, a forest on the other, and a marsh and lagoon on the third. We had all sorts of adventures, mostly involving bushwhacking into the unknown, discovering a “witch’s hut” in the middle of the forest, or returning saturated in mud. Pretty much running wild, as I did from the age of 6-11.

As a kid, I hung out with Hannah, who was a couple of years older than me. I was frankly terrified of Stephen, who was my age. Something about him coming after us with a machete one time. Over a game of UNO if I remember correctly? (Yes, I know that some of you are thinking that that sounds more like something I would have done.) Anyway, he turned out to be a pretty good guy. It’s been especially fun getting to know someone who had the same childhood experiences as me. It’s a bit of a relief knowing that Vanuatu was not a part of my wild imagination.

I’m also really looking forward to reconnecting with Hannah, who happens to live in London. Yay! She’s married now and has a son. It’s strange connecting the people in your memory with who they have become.
Facebook Photo Album
(which has nothing to do with my post - just where we went today)

No comments:

Post a Comment