Tuesday 20 September 2011

Day 1: Survived

I did my job shadowing today, after my aborted appointment yesterday (I got all the way there only to receive a call as I was walking up the steps, rescheduling for the next day). I'm very glad that I had a chance to see how students and teachers interact here, and to experience the behaviour expectation. It's very different from Canada, where we're very careful about the child's self-esteem.
I spent the morning in a reception class (the second year of schooling, aimed at 4 year olds), and the afternoon in a Year 2 class (the equivalent of Canadian Grade 1). Most of my teaching experience is with 10 to 12 year olds, so this was a great opportunity for me. I'm going to have to be careful about being sucked in by the big doe eyes and "Miss, miss, miss" in their cute little English accents. I can probably also deal with practical things like wet pants, but am completely useless with the constant "He hit me", or "I want to go home". I'm also more likely to laugh if a kid falls instead of cooing and comforting. I'm in complete awe of Kindergarten teachers' patience and ability, and have no inclination of joining their ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment