Thursday 27 October 2011

The luck of the Irish

When you think of Ireland, what do you picture? Green, leprechauns, and pots of gold at the end of rainbows? I can at least attest to the green and the rainbows. I'm still waiting to witness the wee folk step dancing. Perhaps tonight when we go down for the live music Dolan's. Tee hee!!! I'll be listening to live Irish music in Ireland!

I've been here for two days now. It was a little weird being greeted at the airport by a Canadian. Krysta and I stayed up until 3am catching up on news from home, and laughing. David has been an excellent guide, even if he insisted on us getting up at 8am to start the day.

Yesterday we did the Ring of Kerry. The scenery around the Gap of Dunlop was breathtaking. Luckily, David is a photographer, so we had frequent roadside stops. I don't have my laptop with me, but I'm hoping that I have some good photos for my scrapbook. We also stopped at Ballinskelligs to clamber along the beach, and gaze out at the Skellig Islands from the top of the Kerry cliffs. These names will all make more sense once you see the pictures.

Whereas yesterday was a scenic drive, today was full of adventure. We were going to visit Bunratty castle, but it was a 15 Euro entrance fee, and due to our late start, we were on a tight schedule. Instead, David took us to Dromoland Castle, a super posh castle-turned-hotel. WOW! There's nothing like infiltrating somewhere you're not supposed to be to get the blood pumping.

At 3PM, we hopped aboard a boat to tour the cliffs of Moher from the sea. Discovery... it is VERY difficult to take pictures when tossing upon 10 foot swells, without going overboard. And to witness the power of the waves crashing on the cliffs is awe-inspiring. I could feel God's presence surrounding me as the sun was going down on the water, clambering among the rocks through the salty spray, with the roar of the surf in my ears.

Amendment: Krysta is upset because David's name is in my post more than hers. So here are a few facts about Krysta. She is a good friend. Oops, KRYSTA is a good friend. KRYSTA has an infectious laugh. David says that KRYSTA is loveable. When asked what she would like to share about Ireland, KRYSTA responded, "divine encounter with God."

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment