Friday 14 October 2011

Busy, busy, busy

I must be doing something right, because suddenly I'm in high demand! I still feel a bit like I'm on stage, pretending to be someone that I'm not... I feel like I'm waiting for "them" (kids? headteachers?) to see through me. However, my initial impression of the British school system has been much tempered. Teachers here care just as much about their students as back home, and the general goals are still the same. I suppose that  sending me into the lions den to experience the worst has helped me appreciate the rest. It's still no walk in the park, but it's now a challenge I'm willing and ready to rise to.

Being placed in a classroom for a whole week has been a nice transition. It gave me a chance to not only get to know the students and the curriculum, but it takes away the harried feel of trying to figure out the school schedules and routines, and more importantly, it allowed me to connect with staff members (an INVALUABLE resource.)

Last week I covered a Year 1 class. Which still makes me laugh. I swore back in Canada that I would NEVER... EVER teach Kindergarten (Year 1 here... which is actually their third year of schooling). I had a whole list of reasons as to why I couldn't. All I can say is that it's an excellent thing that I've met God, and that He's already been stretching me and teaching me that all things are possible. The school seems to like me, because yesterday they called TimePlan and requested me for all next week.

This week I was covering a Year 5 class. I really enjoyed getting a glimpse into their curriculum. I learned all sorts of new things about the lives of Victorian children, and the roots of the Bernard foundation. I also learned to check that all uniform shirts were tucked in every time we lined up for class. The school has a new headteacher, who always seems to be going full-steam ahead, and is on top of everything. I admire him, and wonder what makes him tick, but boy does he intimidate me. However, they seem to like me there as well, because before I left today, they booked me for the whole week after we get back from half-term break.

Which means, I know exactly what I'm doing for the next three weeks! No uncertainty, no getting up at 6am so that I can make the 7am phone call into the TimePlan office, no new school discipline systems/schedules/routines to learn. Life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment