Sunday 11 March 2012

People watching on a fine Spring morning

I made the conscious decision to escape my convalescence this weekend. Saturday morning I headed into London to finally make some use of my English Heritage card. "Number One, London" was my first stop, better known as Apsley House, home to the first Duke Wellington, inventor of the rubber boot and defeater of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Having been sent to an International French School as a child, I learned my history and geography as any good French citizen. Bonapart was a hero. Now, everywhere I turn, Bonaparte was the BAD guy. Other lasting impressions of Apsley House:

-the 2 story tall statue of naked Bonaparte, who's fig leaf was blown off during an air bombing raid.
-listen to the 8th Duke Wellington's childhood anecdotes on the audio tour - much more interesting than who made what changes to what room in what year
-who turns the hoof of their favourite horse into an ink pot?
-the ballroom window offers a splendid view for the exit of Buckingham Palace's changing of the guard

After Apsley house, I headed back into the tube system, only to turn around at the bottom of the stairs and come back up to the sunshine and fresh air. Best decision I made all day. I meandered through Green Park, then around the outside, admiring some of street vendor artwork. I like people watching... seeing people enjoy life. Walked past the Ritz, through Piccadilly Market, and down into Trafalgar Square.

I also finally made it into the National Portrait Gallery. I was pretty tired by then, so I only made it through a few rooms. I've learned that artists hide all sorts of hidden messages in their paintings. As a photographer, one of your aims is to know your subject, and to simplify your composition in order to draw attention to it. This guideline doesn't seem to apply to painting. The main themes seemed to be the Greek Gods and Christianity. My favourite so far is the series of 4 giant paintings by Joachim Beuckelaer representing the four elements, using a marketplace. Hidden in the background of each piece is a story from the Bible. The description said that they were painted "quickly" with large brushstrokes. It looked pretty detailed and comprehensive to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment