Sunday 25 March 2012

Eclectic Weekend

What a fascinating weekend! Yesterday was simply amazing... The sun came out and at 19 deg, it was perfect for a walk into Romford. There's something about sunshine that is both invigorating and relaxing at the same time.

I'm also almost done my moving... One more load on the bus next week, then I'll be ready to go on Thursday night. Final cleaning on Friday, and it will be complete. Just in time for Spring Break! Yay!

Finished off my Saturday with another inspiring lesson with Trent, then into London for Kimberly's Orchestra Concert. With Trent, I learned Walker Street, "the ultimate string-crossing workout". Can't wait to show Roxanna what I've learned while she's been off enjoying herself.

The ELLSO concert was fab as well. I got completely lost coming out of the tub station and walked 20 minutes in the wrong direction before figuring out my mistake. I eventually found St. Anne's church. There are a lot of bridges, water, and steeples in that area (the directions I was following were not super clear). Despite my repeated big group class disappointments, I could easily sign up for something like that. Luckily I realise that I'm already stretched in too many directions, and am not willing to give up all my Saturdays.

After the concert, we both realised we'd missed supper and were starving. We found a Chinese Restaurant that was open until midnight down a dark street, and headed in with a little trepidation. Turns out that it was quite a high-class joint with the best tasting Chinese food I've ever had. All for a very reasonable, average price. The kind of place that takes your coat, holds your chair for you, puts your [fabric] napkin on your knee, and brings you a warm wet cloth at the end of the meal. If I had a website, I'd start a page on hidden gem restaurants... that's 3 now.

This morning, I went with a coworker to his Afrikaans church. I hadn't realised that English is taught as a second language in South Africa. I had thought that it was thoroughly bilingual (tri/quad-lingual?). Anyway, it was a really neat experience. Afrikaans seems to have a lot of German influence with a few strange twists (ex: j=rolled r, g = guttural rolled r). They laughed at me every time I used the little I'd learned on the car-ride there, but not in a mean way. I've got most of my voice back now, so it was nice to be able to sing again. I'm consistently amazed that so many churches sing the same contemporary worship songs I learned at Bethany.

Now, off to marking I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment