Monday 9 January 2012

Say WHAT?!?!

Do you know that I just found out that THEY ONLY WRITE REPORT CARDS ONCE A YEAR HERE? And they're ONLY ONE PAGE LONG?!? We have to do an 8 page report card THREE TIMES A YEAR back home! I don't SLEEP for the two weeks leading up to Christmas holidays. And I spend the first half of summer recuperating from utter exhaustion and burnt-outedness, then the rest of the summer pulling my house and classroom back into shape! Yes, that's right. If you calculate it out, that does indeed mean that I get no summer break.

Not only that, but they don't seem to give grades like we do back home. Now I'm treading into muddy territory and may have to make a few retractions later on. From what I understand, teachers do 3 levelings a year. Each year is divided into 3 "grades". So, at the beginning of Year 3, a child should ideally be a 3C, and by the end, 3A. Sometimes children may be in Year 3, but be at say, a 2B or a 4A level. Fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment