Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Frustrations of a Mediocre Budding Musician

Yesterday, I wrote the following note to Roxanna, my Skype Fiddle Instructor:

"So I let Kimberly take me to her multi-level orchestra class last night. Don't EVER let me try another group class again. That's two very large strikes against group lessons that are supposed to accommodate people of my level. She swore that it was for level two violinists and up, and that I'd be able to handle it.

The conductor handed out sheet music to Handel's Cencerto IV in C, and we played it cold. All the way through. I could play chunks of the first and third movement (I cheated and plucked the first few bars before we got going), but couldn't have played even two notes in a row of the second of fourth movement if my life depended on it. She's been playing for 12 years and found it challenging.

Will I ever find a place to fit in? Have I simply started too late, and the ship has sailed? I love playing, but I don't want to play by myself in my own little corner. It's depressing."


However, I really have no reason to feel depressed, because tonight I had a lesson. I love that an hour of fiddle infusion sets me on fire for days on end. WAY better than any drug.

The Internet was down this evening, which sent me into a near panic. Haven't had a proper lesson in over a month. But lo, a voice from on high sung "Heather, Heather, don't forget your phone!" So we did a phone lesson instead. Worked really well! Way better connection than what I've been getting lately with Skype *disgruntled snear*. Gives new meaning to learning by ear... definitely no cheating allowed. We learned (and by "we", I mean Roxanna patiently bore with me while I learned) Calum's Road - Part B, reviewed Highlander's Revenge and how to fit the two tunes together, and learned High Road to Linton - Part A & C. With time to talk about the upcoming Celtic Connections besides.

I have been incredibly blessed with the most amazing instructors over the last couple years. [trying to keep my blog from now becoming an ad, but a few names deserve special mention] Ben Plotnick got me hooked one summer, then Trish Clair-Peck, Trent Freeman, and Roxanna Sabir kept me flying high. Even to the point of giving me Skype lessons when I can't find a local instructor. Seriously... if you play, and you ever, EVER, have the chance to meet these people, jump on it. Such genuine, encouraging, talented people. Who am I kidding? Even if you don't play, they're still worth a chat ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment