Thursday 10 November 2011

Two Blogs Behind

I'm falling behind. There aren't enough hours in the day. Why is it, that no matter where I live, whether it be in a remote Northern community, or bustling London, I end up booked solid? Hmmm.... obviously have not learned my lesson yet about scheduling, and giving myself time off. PS, I still consider myself an introvert.

First blog entry:
I've officially ditched the group fiddle lesson in Northern London. I always try to see things through to the end, but this time I don't feel all that guilty.
As it happens, there is a Folk Club that meets at the White Horse Pub at the end of my street on the same night. My housemate accidentally stumbled upon it, and passed on the information. I went last night, and had a blast. No one there takes themselves too seriously (one lady has a ukelele plastered in puffy stickers), and they're super friendly and welcoming. Very much the opposite of my experience in London.
What I hadn't realised is that it's more of an open mic night with crowd vocal participation than a jam session. So I stood up and played in front of a crowd of strangers. If I keep this up, I might actually get over my stage fright and stop choking in the middle of my songs.
And they loved the infusion of new Canadian tunes! New to them at least. I was even asked to take a second turn. The only problem is that I'm now out... I played Pelican Reel, Log Drivers' Waltz and St. Anne's Reel. Then I played Cripple Creek, which is probably American, but they had never heard either. Can anyone suggest any other tunes that are Canadian and might be a part of my limited repertoire?

Second blog entry:
I was invited to a women's Bible/book study tonight. They're doing a study of the book of James. Tonight's topic was about money. It was incredibly eye opening. Some of the attitudes towards money are the same as in North America, at least in a general sense (disposable society, temptation to live above your means). However, as much as Canada was colonized by Great Britain not that long ago (historical time takes on whole new meaning this side of the pond), there have been different influences on each society. Also, the neighbourhood I live in is a little more strapped for cash.
I certainly felt a little sheepish about my current lifestyle. Quite honestly, I'm on a bit of a joy ride. I'm still working for my keep, and having to work hard, but I'm hardly wondering whether or not I will be eating today, or having to choose between taking my child to the doctor or putting the next meal on the table. Trusting in God takes on a slightly new shade of meaning.

1 comment:

  1. You are SO NOT an introvert!!! Who ever told you that?!

    Keep on bloggin' Love ya, Mum XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete