Tuesday 3 April 2012

Canals and Lambs

I'm in Rugby at the moment, visiting family friends (my UK parents?)  LOL, I got such a kick out of the name the first time I came 6 years ago... I LOVED playing rugby in highschool... back when I was aggressive and competitive ;)

 It feels soooo incredibly good to get out of my dreary, grey, rubbish-strewn neighbourhood! Coming out on the train, across the green fields was like a breath of fresh air. There are lambs and calves everywhere.

Today was amazing... we went for a walk along the canals, looking at the brightly painted canal boats. It was drizzling, but if any pictures turn out, I'll post them on fb when I get home.They're so fascinating! The people I'm visiting are both retired teachers, so I was lucky enough to have everything explained to me... the grips up the slopes to keep the horses from slipping, the repair sheds and Chandler shops, the holes under the lock keepers houses... Apparently you can rent the boats, so now I have my heart set on seeing the country by canal. We could follow the industrial history of England as we float through the locks and tunnels. Anybody interested in joining?

I've also recently moved out of the house I was living in, and into bulk teacher housing. It may sound a little regressive, but it's actually a very positive thing. 1) no more parties until 5 am, 2) I only need to take 1 bus to school (saves 30 minutes and 50% money), 3) I have WAY more space, and 4) I already have friends in the building, who share my lifestyle.

 The move went incredibly well... Kimberly helped me take a couple loads on the bus, and then a lady from my church helped me move the rest. There was an evening of overlap between me leaving my house and being able to move into my room, and I had at least 5 offers of places to stay. Another lady has donated her old dishes to my "broke" cause. So far, I'm incredibly happy with my new place. I'm in the clean kitchen, there is actually water pressure in the showers, the morning sun streams through my window, and my room is so big that I don't know what to do with all the space. Yay!


1 comment:

  1. Hurray for you! Glad the move went so well.
    Still envious of your travels, especially more time with the Hills in Rugby. They are the BEST TOUR GUIDES EVER!!!
    Still waiting for an address for you... :oP
    Love Mum XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete