Saturday 20 August 2011

Oww.... My feet hurt

Strange... I survived 2 weeks without a cell phone. Which is quite a feat, considering that to me it’s not simply a way of communicating. It’s also my watch, my alarm clock, and my organizer. My life tends to fall apart when I don’t have my cell phone, or rather my “mobile”, beeping at me to let me know I have to be somewhere in 10 mins.
But not having Internet is sending me into extreme withdrawal. I think I’m even demonstrating physical addiction withdrawal symptoms. If we lived in Greater London, Internet access would be no issue, but here in the outer Buroughs, it’s nearly impossible to get online. Only 11 more days until the house is connected... Only 11 more days...

Other than that, I’m settling into my new neighbourhood nicely. My first housemate has arrived, and another two are expected next week. Nicole is super nice, and is interested in doing all the touristy things with me. It sure was strange hearing a Canadian accent after two weeks of Scottish brogue and English accents. Some of their vocabulary was already starting to creep in (I was starting to use words like “brilliant”, “lou”, and “chap”), but everything’s back to normal again.

We spent the last two days exploring London. Yesterday we visited St. Paul’s Cathedral, then crossed over the Millenium Bridge and walked the South Shore of the Thames and then back across to Westminster. They’ve got some sort of festival going on on the South Shore, so there were some neat sidewalk acts, lots of colours, and lots of people. It was a gorgeous day, as you will see in the pictures.
We signed up for the evening Ghost Bus Tour, so we had dinner while we waited, then decided to pop down to Buckingham Palace, and then meander around the art exhibits in Trafalgar square. Everything is so accessible here. It really doesn’t take that long to walk from one place to the other. Or maybe it’s that I’m not under any time constraints yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment