Saturday 13 August 2011

Michael's Wood

We were bussed to Aith today (well, yesterday). It is our last full day of classes.
I had signed up for a trip this afternoon, but am skipping out on it, because I'm having such a blast in my new tutor's class. He's Andrew Gifford from Fiddler's Bid (whom I'm going to have to see while I'm in the UK... I've seen three of their band members perform this past week, and would love to see them perform together). Not every good musician is a good teacher, but he pulls it off.
AND over the last few days we haven't learned anywhere near as many tunes, so I feel like I'm actually able to start remembering some of them. I think my favourites are the Trowey tunes, given (or stolen) by the Shetlanders from the Trows.
I've slowly been accumulating information about these little, furry, red people over the week. They don't bother mortals... much. They're fun loving, can be mischievous, and are excellent fiddle players though they only have three fingers. Their tunes tend to be fun and fairly simple, though sometimes they seem to just *stop*. Because when the sun comes up, they turn to stone.

Before supper, I took a walk through Micheal's Wood. There are no true woods here on the Shetlands, because the wind and salt spray prevents trees from growing. But these woods were planted in dedication to a young musician who died of cancer. It's fairly small, planted on the croft he grew up on, but they've set up a meandering path that makes it seem much larger. The Philosopher's Path has quotes set up along the way, that either make you pause and think, or laugh. There are all sorts of fun nooks for children, and beautiful places to stop and rest. It wasn't sad, but rather peaceful and refreshing. I climbed up over the hill beyond the woods and strolled through the moors overlooking the village and locks. I love feeling the wind in my hair, and seeing the fields ripple with it. It was wonderful being able to recharge, spend some time alone and with God. I only had a couple hours, but I could have spent all evening exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment